Region’s Benefits are Countless
Tourism is one of the fastest growing economic generators in the world today. With its stunning badlands and scenic coulees, South East Alberta is a natural backdrop for any tourist activity. TOURISM FUTURES works with rural and urban tourism focused companies, assisting them in attracting tourists to the Canadian Badlands and building on world renowned provincial attractions such as the Canadian Rockies and the Calgary Stampede.
- Tourism & related services generate almost $6 billion annually, just under 20% of Alberta’s GDP
- Travelers from outside the province/country make almost 5 million visits to Alberta per year
- 80% of tourism in Alberta is generated by Albertans traveling within the province
- Visitors average 23 million trips with almost 42 million overnight stays annually
- 70% of the Alberta tourism overnight stays are generated in or within a few hours of the Canadian Badlands.
Successful entre-tourism businesses and future opportunities exist in numerous sectors of the tourism industry. These sectors include artisans, crafts and heritage destinations, specialty restaurants, accommodations or retail outlets, adventure, agricultural or rural experiences, guided tours and packaged services, major attractions, entertainment, leisure and recreation, along with many other distinctive encounters.